1. The phrase “survival of the fittest” was actually coined by a man named Herbert Spencer. Apparently Mr. Spencer must not have been very fit because that phrase is most often attributed to Darwin. Get it…fit…
2. NASA has a team that sniffs every piece of equipment that goes into space. This is to ensure that no items that could change the delicate balance of the climate of the International Space Station make it onto shuttles. Sounds like plot of Gravity 2. Starring George Cologney
3. Saint Nicholas, aka Santa Claus, is the patron saint of, pawnbrokers, thieves, sea travelers, and murderers. Wait, why do sea travelers get a saint?
4. Mel Blanc, the voice of Bugs Bunny, hated carrots. He was forced to chew them during recordings because no other vegetable could create the same crunching sound used in the cartoon. Seems like they could have had someone else chew the carrots to make the sound, but what do I know?
5. Mozart’s full name was Johann Chrysostomus Wolfgangus Thoephilus Mozart. Gesundheit!
6. Neither kilts, whiskey, bagpipes, or porridge was invented in Scotland. Apparently whatever country created that garbage was smart enough not to claim it.
7. Popsicles were originally called “epsicles” named after the tasty treat’s creator. I know what you are thinking but the creator was Frank Epperson, not Omar Epps.
8. Technically there are only 46 states in the United States. Virginia, Kentucky, Pennsylvania and Massachusetts are all officially commonwealths. Sorry Puerto Rico.
9. You are more likely to be killed by an asteroid than by lightning. Yes, but no body will believe your family if that is how you die.
10. In 1945 a chicken named Mike had his head chopped off and went on to live for almost two years. He was fed and given water through an eye dropper. Sure…and I bet you are going to tell me he was killed by an asteroid.
Photo credit: Wikipedia